Thursday, April 12, 2012

Journal 9: How to do More with Less

(2012). How to do more with less. Learning and Leading, 18-19. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/February-2012.aspx


                       At first, I thought the idea of blended teaching seemed like it would maybe be a good idea, but how could it work?  Most students don't complete assigned reading so how else would they learn?  I soon realized this is the old way of thinking about education in schools.  Then the article gave examples of strategies to have a blended teaching approach.  The examples were  web based and included posting slides, video, blogs, and synchronous chats for students to participate in.  I immediately fell in love with this idea.  

                   Q: My first question was could I come up with another technological way to inorporate this teaching style?
                     And the answer to that question was a webcast!  Webcasts are easily portable.  Students could download the audio file onto their phone, ipad, or ipod, and transport it anywhere allowing them to do homework and study anywhere even if there is no internet connection.  Students could rewind and replay sections of the webcast that was unclear without having to listen to other parts they already understand.  
                   Q: The second question I came across, how many students would take the time to teach themselves?
                     I feel like many students would not do any of self teaching or video watching and come to class the next day expecting the teacher to explain the topic to them.  This would result in a greater waste of time.  So I figured to avoid this I would have to make it seem like a normal homework assignment.  for example, send students home with their homework being to watch/listen/collaborate on my choice of technology based learning and to also complete an assignment about it.  I feel students will not watch the video if it does not seem like an assignment they will have to turn in.  so in addition to having my students complete a self learning assignment I would include assignments to be complete like worksheets or crosswords, collaborative work like creating or commenting on blogs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment